REALHOUSEWIVES NEWS

The Real Housewives Of Atlanta Returns Oct. 4th
The Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills Premieres Oct. 14th
The Real Housewives Of Orange County Returns Jan.'11

Monday, August 9, 2010

Ally-RHONY Talks To Lemondrop

Q&A from Lemondrop.

Ally Shapiro, the 20-year old daughter of Jill Zarin is a "Real Housewives of New York" background delight.


She has a kind smile; a sensibility beyond her years and a sarcasm that bursts through her shyness. When the show turns absurd (and when does it not?), Ally's coal-rimmed eyes seem to wink at the audience, as if to let us know she is just as taken aback as the rest of us.

I like her.

Despite her early fame, Ally hasn't been overcome by excess. She is involved with several charity organizations and currently serves as the co-president of the NY chapter of Teens Turning Green. Recently, she helped the organization launch a project called Project Green Dorm, which helps college freshman buy and create eco-friendly products for their dorm rooms. The project falls at an apt time for Ally, who is starting her freshman year at Sarah Lawrence this fall. Luckily, Lemondrop was able to chat with her before Move-in Day, to discuss her college fears, toxic-free foods and why she hopes to trek through Vietnam someday.

Lemondrop: Hey Ally! Where are you right now?
Ally Shapiro: At our House in Bridgehampton.

Have you talked to any of the other housewives' kids lately?
Yes! Lauren Manzo and her mom Caroline (from the Real Housewives of New Jersey) stayed with us this past weekend.

What is your biggest college fear?
The workload! I am so nervous about how I am going to balance school work, new friends, old ones, family, and free time. College will be a juggling act!

What is your major?
Well, I actually I have no majors. However, I will most likely be concentrating in photography along with Art History and Anthropology.

I like your photography blog. What would your dream photo shoot be?
I would love to travel the world shooting different families in their own cultures in rarely seen parts of the world. I just recently got back from spending time with Ladakhi Nomads in the Himalayas.

Any other hidden corners of our world you would like to help expose through your photography?
Yes! I would love to go to Burma (or Myanmar) and Vietnam in the next few years.
When did you first become interested in the environment?
When I was 10, I was diagnosed with arthritis. However, no doctor knew why, and no amount of medication could "cure" it. So, I figured that by eating all-natural, toxic-free foods I would at least be doing right by my body. Then I heard about the organization Teens Turning Green and their philosophy of freeing ourselves of toxins not only in our foods but in our workplace, school, home, and town.

What are some of your favorite places to buy cute, eco-friendly décor?
I love JC Penny, Apple and Bee, and The Green Depot. JCP has this fantastic new Simply Green program with great items for your dorm.

Who are your environmentalist heroes?
I love Joe Romm's blog; Erik Solheim's vision; and documentary filmmaker Mike H. Pandey.

No comments:

Post a Comment