REALHOUSEWIVES NEWS

The Real Housewives Of Atlanta Returns Oct. 4th
The Real Housewives Of Beverly Hills Premieres Oct. 14th
The Real Housewives Of Orange County Returns Jan.'11

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Kandi Never Gives Up

Interview from Loren Ridinger (LorensWorld).


Kandi Burruss the 34 year old former Xscape artist is no stranger to the music & entertainment industry. The songwriter behind TLC's "No Scrubs", Destiny's Child's "The Writing is on the Wall" , "Bills, Bills, Bills" was the first African American to win ASCAP's songwriter of the year award in 2000. A producing & writing career that has led her to work with some of the best artists in the world like Alicia Keys, Mariah Carey, Boys II Men, Da Brat, Nsync, Usher, Fantasia, Mya, Joe, Whitney Houston among many others. Most recently Kandi appeared on Bravo's Hit reality TV series The Real Housewives of Atlanta in where she gives us access to her world from working with artists to the launch of her new album Kandi looks to inspire and empower all women especially single mothers. With her new album launching this FALL, a new season of Atlanta Housewives in October, a new charity, a lifestyle website, Kandi the talented singer, songwriter, producer, entrepreneur and mom shows us that that if you can conceive you can make it happen.

Did you always know you wanted to be in the music industry?
It was not until I got to high school that I realized that I really wanted to be a music artist.

What’s the key to succeeding in the music industry?
Never giving up. I think that sometimes people give up too soon. It is not going to happen over night. I think it is talent and timing as well as drive and determination. Some people have the talent but not the drive. Some people have mediocre talent but their determination and drive is strong. They never give up, so eventually they’re going to knock the door down.

You have quite the resume when it comes to writing hit songs. What do you hope people take away when they listen to one of your songs?
A song that they can relate to. Most of my songs come from personal experiences and a lot of people go through the same things so I want them to feel like I am telling their story.

Of the songs you’ve written which is your favorite?
“Easier”, the duet I have with Faith Evan because it is the song I dedicated to my brother and anybody that has ever lost someone that hears the song says it lifts their spirits up.

We have a lot of single moms writing in asking for advice on balancing life, work, and motherhood. What advice would you give a single mom who is looking to move up in their career, but feels the guilt of not dedicating all her time to her children?
That is a hard thing that I struggle with myself. What I have realized is the saying “It takes a village to raise a child” is very true. Everyone needs a co-parent. If you are a single mother like myself and your child’s father is not really involved, you still need somebody to help at times. That person can be a family member or a friend. Just make sure you do your best to be at all the important events, but you cannot feel guilty about trying to make a better life for you and your child. Every time you can sacrifice a business situation to do something extra special for your child, do it. Do not let your career consume you to the point that you miss out on some of the most important memories of your child’s life. Money is important but not that important.

If your daughter told you she wanted to be in the music industry, what would you say?
I would support her 110 percent. She is already writing songs.

In 2009 you lost your former fiancé, Ashley “AJ” Jewel. What comfort you the most while dealing with your loss?
My family.

How did it change you?
It did not really change me because I had experienced losing someone very close to me prior to that.

What advice would you offer someone dealing with a similar loss?
I think everybody deals with death differently. For me I tend to focus more on work because I don’t like to think about sadness. I don’t like to sit and be depressed so I have to do things to keep my mind occupied. I don’t feel like being alone, sad, and depressed is healthy.

What is your meditation?
I pray a lot and I used to journal a lot which is something I will probably start back doing because it is good to get your thoughts out on paper. Of course, I pour my emotions out in my songs.

What do you think makes a woman beautiful?
Confidence.

Which other Housewives cast would you not mind being a part of?
None

What is currently on your ipod?
My new album that will be released November 23! I am so excited! As well as Fantasia’s new album. I love it.

If you could work with any artist who would it be?
Shania Twain, I love her.

What’s next for Kandi Burruss?
I am starting my foundation as well as the release of my album on November 23. I am going on tour with Fantasia in November and the expansion of my boutique TAGS in Atlanta.

Words to live by?
If you can conceive the thought, you can make it happen!

Didn't get enough of Kandi, send me a tweet @lorenridinger and I will ask her your questions.

xo

Loren

No comments:

Post a Comment